Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Purge


Closet cleaning gurus say to get rid of clothes that don't fit or haven't been worn in a year. So tonight I decided to follow the gurus and commenced purging my half of the 6 1/2 foot wide closet I share with FHA. Part of the purging was a weird Christmas. I found forgotten cute things that probably fit! Part of the purging was a guilt trip. High hopes for fitting in clothes purchased 10 years ago and still can't button or snap. The sadness that while I am successful in other areas of my life, maintaining a permanent goal weight isn't one of them. Other clothes need hemming-will I actually do it? Who can I hire? Ha! Some of this stuff still has its tags on it. The salve was the knowledge that I bought this stuff at true outlet stores or 80% off sales. Finally, part of the purging was embarrassment. I was going to wear THAT in public?? Well I suppose it was in style when I bought it, but it certainly isn't now. I guess Rio's Rider could have worn it to her party last Saturday night. I still have a bit to do in the morning, but now I can comfortably fit all the clothes I own in my half of the closet and my half of the dresser. Except for cycling jerseys. And parkas. And snowpants. And wetsuit (for triathlons). But wait-all that other stuff is "sports equipment".

1 comment:

  1. I just went through mine too and I can't believe the stuff that I've hung on to since high school and never, ever wear! It doesn't help that our closet is much wider than its doors, so anything that gets pushed to the back disappears into a black hole!

    ReplyDelete