Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tri Tri Tri

My one and only triathlon of the season is this Saturday. I am running for re-election so all my time and competitive juices are being temporarily refocused, except for this tri. Anyway, it is a really fun, women only tri. I like the fact it is located 15 minutes away so I can get up at 6 rather than 4 am. I've got the bike and swim part down, but know I will suffer on the run. But I will have fun while I suffer!

This tri is particularly fun because for many of the participants, it is their very first tri. There is an energy there that's hard to find anywhere else. Bikes racked, running and bike shoes in little rows, towels and water bottles to clean feet after getting to transition after the swim, etc. One year I stored my sunglasses in my bike shoes and forgot they were there when I went to put on my shoes. Don't do that. Another time, at a run-bike-swim tri, I forgot to take my bike helmet off. Fortunately, I caught the error before getting in the water.

Tri participants have one's age is written on the back of one's calf. I love it when I see a "6" or "7" as the first digit on someone's calf, even if they are passing me. I want to be participating in tris when I am that age.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you this weekend, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed! My husband has asked me if I would like to do a Triathlon in St. George in November. I would love to say yes but I don't do any of the three sports involved.

    Way to go.

    Thanks for the comments you leave on our blog. I love hearing from you. I hope your family is well.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete