Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Bread Adventure Begins

Last summer I told myself if I survived my re-election campaign, I wanted to learn how to make artisan bread during the winter months. My goal: a tasty sourdough made without commercial yeast. Today, my adventure began.

I got this book from the library and have started my starter. The starter contains water, flour and cheesecloth-bagged grapes, all sitting in a large jar on top of my refrigerator. From what I understand, it will bubble, burble, stink and may grow mold over the next two weeks as it becomes a living creature. Then there are the feedings: 3x a day for the last five days of its growth. Sounds like having another person in the house.

I am learning what proofing baskets and cloths are, how to hand knead and the importance of temperature. It is all very interesting.

When I am done, I should have a sturdy, sour starter. Yay!

1 comment: